Membership is open to to all persons interested in Odisha and residing in Singapore. The membership categories are:
- INDIVIDUAL MEMBER – open to persons eighteen years of age or more.
- STUDENT MEMBER – open to persons eighteen years of age or more who is a full time student (having a student card).
- FAMILY MEMBER – open to families consisting of husband, wife, and children below 18.
- LIFE MEMBER – open to individuals and family members.
- PATRON – A person who contributes $500.00 or more to the Society.
- HONORARY MEMBER – Persons selected to this status by the Executive Committee.
- SUPPORTING MEMBER – open to persons, families or organizations which contribute at least $50.00 a year.
- Persons who are below 18 years of age shall not be accepted as members without the written consent of their parent or guardian.
- Only members above the age of 21 years, with the exception of Honorary Members and Patrons, shall have the right to vote and to hold office in the Society.
- Any member who violates the code of conduct as mentioned in Section “Prohibitions” (13.1 to 13.6) shall have his case reviewed by the Committee on request of the President and may be barred from membership of the society. An expelled member may within one month of the notification of his expulsion, appeal to the general meeting of members against the decision of the Committee. The decision of the general meeting shall be final.
APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP
- A person wishing to join the Society should submit his particulars to the Secretary on a prescribed form or register at the Society’s website through the e-form.
- Any new member application shall be reviewed in the next Committee meeting and shall be decided through consensus.
- A copy of the Constitution shall be furnished to every approved member upon payment of the entrance fee.
ENTRANCE FEES, SUBSCRIPTIONS AND OTHER DUES
- The entrance fees and subscriptions shall be determined by the General Meeting on recommendation from the Committee from time to time.
There shall be a subscription payable by members on an annual basis. In case of marriage of the single member, the spouse shall be granted life membership on payment of differential dues of $70. In case of divorce, both spouses shall be accorded individual life memberships. Subscriptions payable are as follows:
- Single Member - $20
- Student Member - $15
- Family - $35
- Life member (Individual) - $180
- Life member (Family) - $250
- For retiree memberships, the entrance fee is waived and the annual subscription is reduced by half.
- Annual subscriptions are payable in advance within the first 4 months of the year. If a member falls into arrears with his subscription or other dues, he shall be informed immediately by the Treasurer. If he fails to settle his arrears within 10 weeks of their becoming due, the President may order that his name be posted on the Society's notice board and that he be denied the privileges of membership until he settles his account. If he fails to settle his arrears for more than three (3) months, he will automatically cease to be a member and the Committee may take legal action against him provided that they are satisfied that he has received due notice of his debts.
- Any additional fund required for special purposes may only be raised from members with the consent of the general meeting of the members.
- The income and property of the Society whensoever derived shall be applied towards the promotion of the objects of the Society as set forth in this Constitution and no portion thereof shall be paid or transferred directly or indirectly by way of dividend or bonus or otherwise howsoever by way of profit to the persons who at any time are or have been members of the Society or to any of them or to any person claiming through any of them.
Click here to read - Constitution of Odia Society of Singapore(2010)